Making Healthy Choices At Trader Joes
Do you have a Trader Joe's near your area? It is definitely a favorite grocery spot of mine where I can find unique products that aren't sold at most other grocers and at fairly reasonable prices. They will be up first in my Healthy Top 10 series. So here we go, my top 10 healthy items that I am always sure to pick up on a Trader Joe's stop.
1. Persian Cucumbers- So I should first put out a disclaimer that my husband is Persian and for us, cucumbers are eaten readily. But I will definitely say they are an easy and healthy snack for anyone, including the kiddos. Just rinse and eat it just like you would an apple of similar piece of fruit. You can also make this paleo ranch dressing to go along with it.
3. Kanzi Apples & Bartlett Pears- This is one of my family's favorite desserts and it is so easy to make. Just wash, peel, and slice apples and pears or both. Then drizzle honey or 100% pure maple syrup on top, sprinkle with cinnamon and vanilla bean and bake at 350 degrees for 15-25 minutes depending on how soft you want the fruit. This is Paleo compliant as long as you use 100% natural honey or maple syrup.
4.Happy Trekking Packaged Nuts- This is prepackaged quick and easy to go snack that includes protein and just enough chocolate to keep you reaching for a less healthy dessert option.
5. Cut and Peeled Carrots- These are easy to snack on or serve the kiddos with meals. You can also add in a greek yogurt dip recipe or plain hummus for dipping.
8. Pomegranante Seeds- Do you know how much work it is to seed a pomegranate? Well, in all honesty, not too terribly much but it certainly can be intimidating and prevents people from regularly eating this fruit. Pomegranates are a wonderful snack as they are very high in vitamins and antioxidants. This package of seeded pomegranate gives you all the flavor with one of the work. Side note: you pay for the convenience however as these are a little costly.
9. Frozen Fruit- This is the secret to how we make smoothies so easily at our house. For a basic recipe, mix one cup of frozen fruit with 1/4 cup of almond or coconut milk or water, and 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt and blend. Optional add ins: chia seeds, flax seed, coconut chips, fresh peeled oranges and bananas, etc.
Here is my favorite recipe that I call the Tropical Dream Smoothie:
1/3 cup frozen mangoes
1/3 cup frozen pineapple
1/2 of a banana
1/2 of a navel orange or 1 tangerine/clementine
1/4 to 1/2 cup of coconut milk depending on what consistency you like
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
Blend and enjoy!
10. Non Fat Greek Yogurt- This is not a snack that I eat often due to sugar content, however they are 0% fat with great flavor choices and high in protein so they are not the worst choice!
And although not a food product, you simply can't leave Trader Joe's without picking up some flowers. They have such wonderful, fresh flowers at great prices. My favorites are always the beautiful orchids and the peonies when in season! Happy Shopping!